dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

I have Power of Attorney over my mother who is 88 years old.

Customer Question

I have Power of Attorney over my mother who is 88 years old. Where would I fax this POA?
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: My mother, Lois Skipper, is attending a senior center in Swansea, SC. She receives commodities monthly. The administrator tells me that she needs mom's SS New Benefits letter for 2017. Mom has been living with me for the last 5 years. Her SS check goes directly to her bank. As to my knowledge, she has not received this benefit letter for 2017. I became her POA in January of this year.
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: Yes. How do I communicate the POA to *****? Do I need to take it to the office, or fax it to someone?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Matthew Breecher replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I would like to assist you with your question. Give me a minute to draft my response.

I apologize for not responding in a more timely manner; I was distracted with client and other deadlines due to my normal work as a partner in a CPA firm. In short, you can either take the POA to the local Social Security Administration office or you can call the SSA and ask for a fax number to send it to. Even if you take it to the local office, they will send it off to the appropriate legal team for review to make sure the POA is sufficiently drafted and executed.

Please let me know if I can provide further information.