How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barbara Your Own Question
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3811
Experience:  20+ years of experience in tax preparation; 30+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Barbara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father just passed away and I need to know what paperwork

Customer Question

My father just passed away and I need to know what paperwork I need to present to ss and also do you need originals or copies. I also need to know what else I will Need. We are trying to get his SS number but his girlfriend took everything out of his wallet. His name was Jacob Alvin Botchek. His birthdate was May 24, 1943
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: Not that I'm aware of right now. How do I get to his Retirement Account?
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 months ago.

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry for your loss. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. What are you trying to accomplish with social security? Just to notify them of his death, or you you believe you are entitled to a benefit based on his work record?


Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It is possible that due to his work history that I or my younger sister may be entitled to benefits or retirement but i am unsure. I also want to inform you of his death and aquire any info on any thing i need to take care of on my end business wise as i am executor and hold powers of administration. My fathers ex wife currently resides in his home. I initiated probate on monday. Also his legal middle name is ***** ***** first correspondance. Middle name is***** info you may have to help would be helpful as i only wish to protect my fathers belongings, finances and such according to law and and do what i should be doing holding the position i do over his estate. Thank you
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 months ago.

I am unable to further assist you in this matter, and I am going to opt out of your question and open this up for other professionals.

Your question is being placed back in the question list for other professionals to see, and to respond to. You do not have to stay online for the question to be active. Should another professional pick it up, you should be alerted by email unless you actively disable this feature.

There is no need for you to reply at this time as this may "lock" your question back to me, thus inadvertently delaying other professionals' access to it.

I apologize for any inconvenience and wish you well in your future.


Expert:  Barbara replied 5 months ago.

Different expert here - my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Please accept my deepest sympathy on the passing of your father.

The funeral home usually notifies Social Security when someone passes away. You can obtain a copy of your father's death certificate from the funeral home, and the death certificate contains his social security number.

You can then contact Social Security to find out if you or your sister are entitled to any benefits by calling 1-***-***-**** between the hours of 7:00 am and 7:00 pm, Monday through Friday.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,


Expert:  Barbara replied 5 months ago.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions or concerns. If so, please let me know.

Thank you.