Matthew Breecher
Matthew Breecher, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Director
37297873

Am currently on a spousal benefit,, will turn 70 yrs old in

Customer Question

Hi am currently on a spousal benefit,, will turn 70 yrs old in Sept. to go on my own... do I have to make an apt @m my local office to switch to mine? or can I have some one help me online... I tried calling the local office in newburgh Ny.. was on the ph..waiting for 30 minutes... they were real busy,
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: well I will be switching also to my social security for MEdICARE..am on my husbands now...do I have to go to the local office or can it be online?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Matthew Breecher replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I would like to assist you with your question. I would recommend going to a Social Security office as I do not think you can do this online; and, I do not think they take appointments. Every time I accompany a family member, they is a long queue for the wait. Luckily, you are grandfathered into the processes as Social Security has changed the rules to prevent couples from gaining what they had deemed excess benefits. Additionally, it might be better to do any changes at an office so you can discuss you benefit calculation if there is an issue and not what you expect. I have always found it more polite in person. I assume you worked long enough with sufficient income so that your benefits are greater than spousal benefits?

However, I believe you can change your Medicare online. But, if you go to an SSA office to change from spousal benefits to your own, you could do it all at once.