How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 12437
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I gave my SS number (stupidly) to a hacker last week. What

Customer Question

I gave my SS number (stupidly) to a hacker last week. What should I do about that?
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: What more do you need to know? I gave it to him over the phone. Have changed all my bank accounts and have reported the hack/scam to the police.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: The Police at the 19th precinct are going to do an initial investigation, and then will turn the case over to Grand Larceny.
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 4 months ago.

Hi, You've already done a good job of following the best practices here.


If you think someone is using your number, there are several actions you should take.


Review your Social Security earnings record

Review the earnings posted to your record on your Social Security Statement. To get your online Statement, log into your personal my Social Security account and check your account. If you see any inconsistencies, contact the Social Security Administration. We consider identity theft one of our major challenges so we have joined in government-wide efforts to prevent Social Security number misuse.
Visit to report identity theft and get a recovery plan
... guides you through each step of the recovery process.

It’s a one-stop resource managed by the Federal Trade Commission, the nation’s consumer protection agency.

Contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for issues involving taxes
If you believe someone is using your Social Security number to work, get your tax refund, or other abuses involving a taxes, contact the call 1-***-***-****.
Order a free credit report


You can order free credit reports annually from the three major credit bureaus (Equifax, Experian and Trans Union).

Make a single request for all three credit bureau reports:

  • Go to online and fill out the Annual Credit Report Request Form; or
  • Call 1-***-***-****


File a police report
File a report with your local police or the police in the community where the identity theft took place

Expert:  Lane replied 4 months ago.

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

I hope you’ll rate me (using those stars, or faces on your screen, by clicking submit) based on thoroughness and accuracy, rather than any good news / bad news content.

Otherwise I’ll receive no compensation for the time & expertise here at all, from JustAnswer.

Thank you!



I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice to clients on three continents since 1986.