LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

If my SS income is 20,000/yr. and my spouse's is $10,000

Customer Question

If my SS income is 20,000/yr. and my spouse's is $10,000 (half of mine), what happens to her income if I die first?
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: What do you need to know? My SS # is###-##-####
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: I do not remember what happens to our benefits when I die. My wife's benefits are totally dependent upon mine, not on her own income. Does her benefit remain the same or what?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and my goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

If you predecease your wife, she will then immediately be eligible for a survivor benefit. Her survivor benefit will take the place of the retirement benefit she is receiving now. Her survivor benefit will be equal to 100% of the benefit that you are receiving at the time of your death.

You may reply back to me again if you have additional questions, and I will continue to assist you.

I am not an employee of this site and I am only paid for helping you when you rate my service to you. Please remember to rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars on your screen (preferably 5-Stars) so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours well in 2017,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 months ago.

Good afternoon,

Is there anything else I can assist you with today? It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars so that I can be compensated for assisting you? Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you.

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service. It is greatly appreciated.

I wish you the best in 2017,

Doug