LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I am 62 years old I will be collecting 518.00 a mont on my

Customer Question

I am 62 years old I will be collecting 518.00 a mont on my ex husbands benefits. But I am on Ssi for my disabilities will I get 2 checks a month
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I have been disabled for 6 years now I receive 783.00 a month now I am 62 not married I will collect 518.00 from my ex husbands benifits will I collect both to live on
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: Nothing else
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

You need to notify your SSI worker that you are going to be receiving a survivor benefit. You will still get SSI, but because you will be getting the survivor benefit, your SSI benefit will decrease by about the same as the amount you get from social security. And yes, you will get two payments each month. One from SSI and the other from social security. You will also keep your Medicaid until you reach age 65 and become eligible for Medicare,, and depending on your income at that time, it is possible that you will keep both Medicaid and Medicare.

You may reply back to me again if you have additional questions, and I will continue to assist you.

I am not an employee of this site and I am only paid for helping you when you rate my service to you. Please remember to rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars on your screen (preferably 5-Stars) so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours well in 2017,

Doug