How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3441
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a Canadian currently living in Canada. I worked and

Customer Question

I am a Canadian currently living in Canada. I worked and resided in Oregon for over 30 years. I had a Green Card ...A 36703716. Social Security ####-##-#### I receive a pension from US which is deposited in a American bank account. i have applied to Canadian pension for income assistance. As a result they have requested information on this source of income. My understanding income when your total income is under 23000 dollars. My income has been well below that figure for several years. My application for supplemental income did not require reporting of Canadian Old Age Security. Please confirm if this applies to my US Social Security I was required to report income from foreign sources. I sent the amounts I received from the US but neglected to specify that it was income from Social Security. I do not receive T4 slips from the US so need confirmation that I do not to report this income on my application for financial assistance. I have qualified for subsidized housing for 3 years in a row. Any advice or information is much appreciated.
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: The critical information that I require is confirmation that I do not have to report my American Social Security an an application for income assistance in Canada.
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Matthew Breecher replied 5 months ago.

If you are receiving Social Security benefits, those benefits can be reduced by other income. The nature and extent of the other income is critical to the determination of how that income will impact your Social Security benefits. So, to answer your question: Yes, you must report all sources of income on the IRS Form 1040. Are you still a permanent resident of the US?