How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 12437
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been collecting SSDI for 11 years.During this time I

Customer Question

I have been collecting SSDI for 11 years.During this time I have not worked.My benefits have now switched over to Social Security Retirement Benefits since I have turned 66 this may.Does this disqualify me from applying for Medicaid?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I am currently in a nursing rehab center.My Medicare benefits are going to run out next week .Yet I am physically unable to go home and need further in patient treatment! Can I apply for Medicaid even though my SSDI has switched over to Social Security Retirement Benefits?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: Not that I'm aware of!
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 4 months ago.

Hi - My name's Lane.


Social Security benefits are not exempt from Medicaid consideration as income. When you apply for Medicaid, your state's Medicaid program will look at both your income-- which includes you Social Security benefits -- and your assets.


However, you may be able to qualify if you have high regular medical expenses that aren't paid by another program or insurance. This is known as being "medically needy," and many states provide Medicaid coverage for people in this situation.


If you'll go here, , and choose your state, this will take you to a page with contact information for her state's Medicaid program, as well as information about local offices.

Expert:  Lane replied 4 months ago.

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

I hope you’ll rate me (using those stars, or faces on your screen, by clicking submit) based on thoroughness and accuracy, rather than any good news / bad news content.

Otherwise I’ll receive no compensation for the time & expertise here at all, from JustAnswer.

Thank you!



I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice to clients on three continents since 1986.