dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

Have been on ssi disability for 8 yrs because of an illness

Customer Question

have been on ssi disability for 8 yrs because of an illness I had, but is not seeable at this time. My doctors have asked why I am still in an assisted living environment. I am getting my own place and feel secure in doing this. As well I am applying to be my own payee for ss disability. I need to know how I go about this. I was told I would have to go to court. Is this true?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I have had a payee because I was very sick and not expected to live. I did and have recovered. Now I believe it is time to get my own apt. and pay my own bills. It took so long because my payee is my aunt and she wanted to pay my bills for me out of my chk. not to rock the family boat, I continued to let her. now I want to do these things myself.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Matthew Breecher replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I would like to assist. Has someone else been appointed as your legal guardian? And, if so, what was the basis for appointment?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My aunt was appointed as my poa in 2008, she is also my court appointed payee for ss disability. No one else is anything.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am currently living in an assisted living facility. Just where my aunt chose when I got to well for the adult family home I moved into after I was ill. Now I am well enough to live on my own. And will be paying my own bills. I currently have medicare medicaid which pays the remainder of the rent here. leaviung me 62. a month to live on.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will remain on disability, as I still have the disease, just the symptoms are gone
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No no legal guardian.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Did not realize this was costing me by the word. I was going by the free trial claim. I need to cancel immediately. Thank you for your time. Please disregard any and all questions from this e-mail.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Membership cancelled.