LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

My second husband died and I'm receiving his disability

Customer Question

my second husband died and I'm receiving his disability benefits.my first husband who never remarried past away and I want to know if it is possible to receive his benefits if they are hire?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: my second husband had to retire early and his disability benefits and mine were almost the same,so I took his.now my first husband died and he never remarried so I'm wondering if I can collect his if it is more
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: just wondering if this is possible
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry for your loss. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

As your second husband died, allowing you to collect a survivor benefit based on his work record, and now your first husband has passed, you may file application for a survivor benefit based on your first husband's work record if that will pay you a greater monthly benefit than the one you are presently receiving. And, you may file against your first husband's work record even if he was remarried at the time of his death.

You may reply back to me again if you have additional questions, and I will continue to assist you.

I am not an employee of this site and I am only paid for helping you when you rate my service to you. Please remember to rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars on your screen (preferably 5-Stars) so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours well in 2017,

Doug