dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

My husband and I will be filing for divorce soon. Will I be

Customer Question

My husband and I will be filing for divorce soon. Will I be able to collect any of his social security. I am 68 but not yet collecting. He turns 70 in July and will start collecting then.
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: My husband and I will be filing for divorce soon. Will I be able to collect any of his social security. I am 68 but not yet collecting. He turns 70 in July and will start collecting then.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: no
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

As long as you were married for at least 10 years you can apply for spousal benefits based on his records (not his benefits but benefits based on his records) as soon as you are divorced. You will be eligible for 50% of the amount he was eligible at his full retirement age (65). You can choose between spousal benefits or your own but you cannot collect both at the same time.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?