How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 12481
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received S.S. income because I was out of work and 62. I

This answer was rated:

JA: Hello. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: I received S.S. income because I was out of work and 62. I have since gone back to work but I received too much S.S. Income. I t has been stopped and I've tried to reach the dept. by phone to begin a repayment plan but it is difficult to do so. I wonder if the dept. will agree to my not receiving my benefits when I am eligible to receive and accept that as my repayment plan?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: I am now about to turn 65 in July and I don't want to receive my benefits until I'm 66 or beyond as I am still employed and healthy. Will my benefits continue to grow. Incidentally my name is***** Forgive my rudeness. I believe I owe somewhere between $11,000 to $13,000. It was not my intention to keep receiving the benefits but I had been out of meaningful work for some time and had been caring for my elderly uncle who has since passed. I am just trying to work my way out of this dilemma.

Hi. My name's Lane.


Yes, actually that's what's happening now. They have stopped the benefit - until the benefit that was paid over the limit for earning while working and under age 66 - is paid back.


Lets say, to make the math easy, that your benefit was 1000 per month ... but that you earned so much that you received benefits(in excess of that annual limit) that totaled of 10,000.


They will simply stop your 1000 benefit for 10 months until you are repaid.


But you SHOULD call them to let them know that you don't want it to start back up automatically, so that you WILL earn those delayed retirement credits for waiting until as late as age 70 (no use in waiting past age 70 as the benefit will no longer go up after that).


And so sorry, but calling the national SSA customer service center IS the best way to get this done (although you may need to curl up with a good book next to the phone and wait 30 minutes or so)


By calling 1-***-***-****, you can speak to a Social Security representative between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Monday through Friday. Generally, you’ll have a shorter wait time if you call during the week after Tuesday.




You can go to your closest Social Security Office. (Although you might want to call the number above first to make an appointment). Many times simply walking in only leaves you there for the remainder of the day only to come away with an appointment for another day.


Click here for a Social Security Office locator, where you can enter a zip code to find the closest office.

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

I hope you’ll rate me (using those stars, or faces on your screen, by clicking submit) based on thoroughness and accuracy, rather than any good news / bad news content.

Otherwise I’ll receive no compensation for the work here at all, from JustAnswer.

Thank you!


I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, to clients on three continents since 1986.

Lane and other Social Security Specialists are ready to help you