Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

The SSA is telling me my Aramco lump sum will result in a

WEP reduction in SS benefits...
The SSA is telling me my Aramco lump sum will result in a WEP reduction in SS benefits. How can I appeal this?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: See:
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: R Klein responded to this exact situation 3 years ago in a question indicating that the WEP does not apply to Aramco benefits. But how can I relay this to the SSA?
4/12/2017
LawTalk, Attorney

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation, and your confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I have been a licensed attorney for more than 3 decades. Please don't confuse excellent service with a satisfactory outcome based on your wants and desires. I can only explain the law to you---not guarantee that you will be happy with the outcome---any more than a cancer surgeon can guarantee a cure.

You are misreading the post by R. Klein. He/she never suggested that your Aramco pension payout is not subject to the WEP. In fact is absolutely is subject to the WEP.

There is nothing to relay to social security because they are correct. The WEP does apply to you and there is nothing to appeal here. I am sorry.

You may reply back to me again if you have additional questions, and I will continue to assist you.

I am not an employee of this site and I am only paid for helping you when you rate my service to you. Please remember to rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars on your screen (preferably 5-Stars) so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours well in 2017,

Doug

Good afternoon,

Is there anything else I can assist you with today? It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars so that I can be compensated for assisting you? Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you.

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service. It is greatly appreciated.

I wish you the best in 2017,

Doug

Thanks Doug, but why then did R. Klein provide such a different answer? Also, thousands os US expats have retired from Saudi Aramco over the past years with no one having WEP applied to them. I am concerned I am being singled out as an exception. Is there any additional information you can provide on why WEP would apply to Aramco?

Good afternoon,

I thoroughly review the answer you referred to I did not see it stated anywhere in the response that the Aramco pension was not subject to the WEP.

The WEP applies to absolutely ALL pensions that a person receives---either from a US employer who was not obligated to withhold social security taxes---like state and federal employers, teacher unions and the like----as well as to all foreign pensions and lump sum pensions from placed in the world that did not withhold US social security taxes from your wages.

The fact that thousands are getting away with violating the law is likely because they did not disclose the foreign pension when they applied. You are singled out only because you were honest with them in the first place.

Here is a link to the essence of the WEP law: https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0200307290

Thank you for your kind words. They are very much appreciated. Unfortunately, your gratitude alone is not sufficient for me to be compensated for my having assisted you, as I am not an employee of the site, but an independent site expert. I am not paid unless you rate my service.

I need for you to rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars located on your answer page---preferably 5-stars. It is that easy.

Thanks in advance.

I wish you the best,

Doug

Is there anything else I can help you understand?

Please rate my service. Thanks in advance,

Doug

LawTalk, Attorney

Thank you for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope that you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise. I am generally available at least 6 days a week, and often 7, and it would be my privilege to assist you again in the future.

I welcome you to request my assistance in any future legal questions you may have, by simply asking for me by name, Doug, in the first sentence of your new question.

Thanks again.

Doug

LawTalk, Attorney