dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

My mom 90 ys old went to ss office with her caregiver. They

Customer Question

my mom 90 ys old went to ss office with her caregiver. They received a letter of redetermination that includes many not true statements. Mom has dementia and she may answered not correctly. They also requered that she gets pension proof from ukraine which is too hard to do. mom is 8 yrs as US citizen and not getting much from ukraine. She doesnt live there to get money. We need help with writing explanation regarding this issue.
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: What is SSD practice you have?
Category: Social Security
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
we need help with questionn how to answer the SS officer that mom doesnt get much pension from Ukraine. When she was there the amount was like maybe $50. Her friend gets her money for her and sometimes when she travels to US she brings money to her , only half less taking half for her services. So she may receive $30 per month.
Expert:  Matthew Breecher replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I would like to assist with your question. Please remember, as per the terms of this website, Answers of Experts on the Site are to be used by Customers for general information purposes only, not as a substitute for in-person evaluation or a specific professional opinion.

Was the letter regarding her Supplemental Security Income, or did they recalculate her Primary Insurance Amount (PIA)?

In either case, you have a limited time to appeal. The only way other benefits could impact her is under the Windfall Elimination Provision. I don't see her Ukraine pension as being material enough to impact her Primary Insurance. Does she get any written communication from the Ukraine government?