Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

How early can I receive medicare, I will be 64 in July and…

Customer Question
How early can I...

How early can I receive medicare

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I will be 64 in July and am wondering if I can apply for medicare now,

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

I have bad Knees, high blood pressure and diabetes and am finding it very hard to work.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Social Security
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/1/2017
Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 1 year ago
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

You might be eligible for Medicare before 65 if you are disabled.

Otherwise - you will be eligible when you turn 65.

When you apply for Medicare, you can sign up for Part A (Hospital Insurance) and Part B (Medical Insurance). Because you must pay a premium for Part B coverage, you can turn it down. However, if you decide to enroll in Part B later on, you may have to pay a late enrollment penalty for as long as you have Part B coverage.

If you’re eligible at age 65, your initial enrollment period begins three months before your 65th birthday, includes the month you turn age 65, and ends three months after that birthday.

Let me know if you need any help.