Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My husband has MS and is biopolar. He is a full time teacher…

Customer Question
My husband has MS and...
My husband has MS and is biopolar. He is a full time teacher now. Could he file for social security disability now or does he have to be half dead? I believe we make too much money together, $114,000.00. He retired from the Air Force.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Social Security
3/21/2017
Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 1 year ago
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

Social Security pays benefits to people who can’t work because they have a medical condition that’s expected to last at least one year or result in death. Federal law requires this very strict definition of disability. While some programs give money to people with partial disability or short-term disability, Social Security does not.

There are two ways that you can apply for disability
benefits. You can
1. Apply online at www.socialsecurity.gov; or
2. Call our toll-free number, 1-***-***-****, to make an appointment to file a disability claim at your local Social Security office or to set up an appointment for someone to take your claim over the telephone.

You should apply for disability benefits as soon as you become disabled. Processing an application for disability benefits can take three to five months. To apply for disability benefits, you’ll need to complete an application for Social Security benefits.

Questions?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
he should just apply anyway?

If you feel so - yes - do not delay.

But before you might discuss the issue with your physical and verify if his health condition qualifies under the SSA definition of disability.

The physician will need to provide medical documents for SSA to review.