Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I have lost or misplaced my W2 forms. I need to know how to…

Customer Question
I have lost or...

I have lost or misplaced my W2 forms. I need to know how to get some other ones.

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I don't understand exactly what you need.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

My name is***** I live in Idaho and am 85 years old so not to familiar with a computer. I tried calling the Social Security and was ct off.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Social Security
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/21/2017
Social Security Expert: keeperumiami, Senior Tax Expert & Financial Planner replied 1 year ago
keeperumiami
keeperumiami, Senior Tax Expert & Financial Planner

Hello, my name is***** goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer. I am working on your request now & I will respond as soon as possible.

I'm sorry that you are having a problem with this.

Unfortunately, there are only a couple of ways to obtain a duplicate copy of what you need.

The first, evidently you tried. You can call the SSA at 1-***-***-****.

OR

You can go to the ssa.gov website. If you want to try that, here are the instructions to obtain an actual copy of your SSA-1099 benefits statement for 2016.

Here are the detail instructions on how to get a duplicate copy online; it's not a bad as it looks, I just wanted to include everything so you don't wind up in the wrong place:

The form that you can receive online at ssa.gov at your MySocialSecurity account is an exact duplicate of the one that comes in the mail.

Let me walk you through what you need to do:

Try this link it is a more direct route (you will have to copy & paste it in your address box):

http://blog.ssa.gov/tag/federal-taxes/

click on the "continue reading" link below the picture of the happy beneficiary

then click on the this link in the middle of the page:

www.socialsecurity.gov/myaccount

then either set up a "My Social Security" account or sign into your existing account.

scroll to the bottom of the Terms of Service page and "agree" to their terms

hit "Next"

then click on "Replacement Documents" at the top of the page.

Scroll down and click on this link:

View / Print / Save your Replacement 2016 SSA-1099/SSA-1042S

click "OK" to continue

Your 1099 Replacement Form will magically appear.

You can view it, save it, or print it; whatever you want

Please remember to rate my response as that is the only way I will receive credit from the site, for assisting you today.

Thanks very much,