Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

Got a lump sum payment for years 2014 2015 and 2016 from ss

disabily in 2016 in turn...
got a lump sum payment for years 2014 2015 and 2016 from ss disabily in 2016 in turn paid it to long term disabily me and my wife are on affordable care insurance and ss added both the lump sum and what they payed me for the 6 months together but showed in the bottom left hand corner what years it was for this total knocked me off affordable health care and they say i need to pay back my health care to the tune of thousands
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: this has caused great problem for us and me being a heart patient has been the worst time of my life
2/16/2017
keeperumiami
keeperumiami, Senior Tax Expert & Financial Planner

Hello, my name is***** goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer. I am working on your request now & I will respond as soon as possible.

keeperumiami
Phone call session started

Bill:

As we discussed on the phone, I explained how I would suggest you treat the disability insurance repayment in terms of your adjusted gross income & how that will affect Form 8962. See the following excerpt from IRS Publication 525:

Repayments

If you had to repay an amount that you included in your income in an earlier year, you may be able to deduct the amount repaid from your income for the year in which you repaid it. Or, if the amount you repaid is more than $3,000, you may be able to take a credit against your tax for the year in which you repaid it. In most cases, you can claim a deduction or credit only if the repayment qualifies as an expense or loss incurred in your trade or business or in a for-profit transaction.

Type of deduction. The type of deduction you are allowed in the year of repayment depends on the type of income you included in the earlier year. In most cases, you deduct the repayment on the same form or schedule on which you previously reported it as income. For example, if you reported it as self-employment income, deduct it as a business expense on Schedule C (Form 1040) or Schedule C-EZ (Form 1040) or Schedule F (Form 1040). If you reported it as a capital gain, deduct it as a capital loss as explained in the Instructions for Schedule D (Form 1040). If you reported it as wages, unemployment compensation, or other nonbusiness income, deduct it as a miscellaneous itemized deduction on Schedule A (Form 1040), and see the instructions there.

Repayment of $3,000 or less. If the amount you repaid was $3,000 or less, deduct it from your income in the year you repaid it.

Repayment over $3,000. If the amount you repaid was more than $3,000, you can deduct the repayment (as explained earlier under Type of deduction ). However, you can choose instead to take a tax credit for the year of repayment if you included the income under a claim of right. This means that at the time you included the income, it appeared that you had an unrestricted right to it. If you qualify for this choice, figure your tax under both methods and compare the results. Use the method (deduction or credit) that results in less tax.

I'll be happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.

Please remember to rate my response as that is the only way that I will receive credit for assisting you today. There's no additional charge for providing a rating; however, if my service exceeded your expectations, the site allows you to provide a bonus for my services; that is not expected or required, but is always most appreciated.

If you have the occasion to need our service in the future and would like to reach me personally, just ask for "Steve G" at the beginning of your question.

Thanks very much,

keeperumiami
keeperumiami