Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

I worked professionally for almost 2 decades before I had to

Hello. I worked professionally for...
Hello. I worked professionally for almost 2 decades before I had to retire on SSD. Now with this new administration, I constantly worry they will start cutting SSD which is my sole income. I am in my early 50's and wonder if I am being irrational? Please advise.
1/28/2017
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

I feel that you are overreacting...
Social Security benefits - including disability benefits - are based on the federal law.

The was the Social Security Act was signed into law by President Franklin Roosevelt in 1935 with later amendments. That Act established federal Old-Age, Survivors, and Disability Insurance (OASDI) program.

The president may NOT override or change the federal law.
As you might know social security benefits are funded from social security taxes - primary through payroll and self-employment taxes.

However the Congressional Budget Office predicted that the "Disability Insurance trust fund will be exhausted in fiscal year 2017 and the Old-Age and Survivors Insurance trust fund will be exhausted in 2033.
Because of that we may expect the law to be amended - and that is widely discussed. That is not related to new administration as any administration would be required to deal with that problem.

Please elaborate.

Many thanks… So if the loan is amended would that mean my payments would be reduced?
Sorry, meant to say law not loan.

In your original question - the loan was not mentioned...
So it is not clear to what loan you are referring?

Sorry, law not loan.

Not necessary. Your social security benefits most likely will be the same - but new retires might expect lower benefits or higher retirement age. But honestly - changes are not proposed yet and it would be too early to say anything specific.

lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
How soy know if it's the right time to move to the West Coast?1) prices out here or thrown going through the roof2) I love living out in Oregon especially on the coast considering the freedom the people someone lack of catastrophic disaster's and the ability to do your own thing without people judging. I have a low-cost way of getting my basement waterproofed so the next customers will have an extra $4000 that I expect them to pay for since it was just recent which would also make them want to buy as this is a very floodplain region.
Can you please in your kindness give me some advice as I am in my early 50s and have no family ties although I have spiritual ties to the Oregon coast and part of Washington.

That is very personal - to decide where and when to move....
While prices on real estate should be considered - that would not be the only and might be not a primary reason for decision.

The main force why people are moving - is because of job - whether they may have career and/or income and business opportunities.

Retirees are moving to downsize, because of climate, community environment and cost of living.

Some are considering to be close to family members.

In your early 50s - the source of income in the area you plan to move is very critical.

So if you will retire - and will need to rely on much less income - you might want simply to visit several proposed location - just living there for several months to get better feeling regarding expectations.

lev-tax
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor