Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

Can my wife get care giver, I am on ss but I have alot of

Customer Question

can my wife get care giver
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I am on ss but I have alot of medical problems.I was told by my sister that I could get money for my wife as a care giver is that true?
JA: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I don't know yet.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and for using justanswer.com. Give me a bit and I will draft you an answer.

Unfortunately no, there is no such program from SSA. See link from AARP to see an article on getting funds for being a caregiver: http://www.aarp.org/home-family/caregiving/info-06-2012/can-i-get-paid-for-taking-care-of-my-mother.html

There are state programs and VA benefits as well if you are eligible for those. There are also possible tax credits available for this but nothing from SSA.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if you are satisfied. This will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated by the site for my time with you. Feel free to ask any follow up questions if you feel your questions has not been fully answered. See link on how to rate: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am on s.s I have a lot medical problems and I was told by my sister I could recive get something for her as a care giver.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
are you working on the answer

Yes, sorry, I was working on another answer and did not see your reply let me draft a response.

You cannot, SSA does not offer benefits for caregivers unfortunately, there are a lot of internet sites that claim this is possible, but it is not. You can get credit for Social security through earning credits for being a caregiver but that will apply to your own benefits (you need 40 credits to be eligible for SS benefits). One can receive a "spousal"benefit for a disabled spouse or get SS for their child for taking care of if they are disabled (based on their own benefit) but there is no benefit for taking care of your sister or a caregiver benefit from SSA unfortunately.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am not taking care of my sister I am asking if my wife can recieve something as a care giver

No she cannot. SSA dos not offer a program to reimburse caregivers.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no

no?

Are you there?

The only thing available is the spousal benefit but she must be age 62 and 50% of your benefit must be larger than your own (50% at full retirement age). The spousal benefit is available to everyone and it does not matter if they are a caregiver or not.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?