How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 2983
Experience:  associate attorney
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a disabled adult that has been collecting ss disability

Customer Question

I am a disabled adult that has been collecting ss disability & VA benefits off my father.(test done on him in the war might be the cause of my disability) Recently my mother died & I was told I might be eligable on her SS? I cant seem to get thru to SS to see if this is true & if it would harm my other benefits if I applied. I need help. Can someone call me at(###) ###-####
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I think they were called "survivor benefits".?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: I dont know if they are the same or treated the same. My disability started at birth. Then at 26 I was diagnosed correctly & forced on disability & told my fathers death was due to VA test so I got his benefits also. I was wondering if I would get hers also? If so, who & how do I apply for them?
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and for using Give me a bit and I will get you an answer drafted.

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Since you were disabled before age 22 then you can get a survivor benefit based off your parents at any age. You can get one from both your mother and your father but these benefits do not stack. You can only receive a higher of the two benefits. So you will only see an increase if your mothers' benefit was higher than your father's.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if you are satisfied. This will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated by the site for my time with you. Feel free to ask any follow up questions if you feel your questions has not been fully answered. See link on how to rate:

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?