How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephanie O Joy, Esq Your Own Question
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 13565
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Stephanie O Joy, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We chatted a few months ago and now I am ready to file for

Customer Question

Hello Stephanie,
we chatted a few months ago and now I am ready to file for my social security benefits. Before I do, I would like to review with you and get your guidance on how best to proceed.
thank you,
Peter Smiderle
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 8 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** have been practicing SS LAW full time for 10+ years and look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 8 months ago.

Nice to see you Peter!

Ask away!

If you prefer by phone, I can add that option, but it is more expensive.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Stephanie,
my wife and I have decided to take our social security benefits.
I turn 66 in March 2017 so I will be FRA. She is 64, turning 65 in may 2017.
My benefits will be $2605 a month. I understand that if she takes spousal benefits when I begin my benefits, she will receive about 45% of my benefit or about $1170.
Am I figuring this correctly ? Also, how should I apply for my benefits to make sure she is eligible and how should she apply ?
thank you in advance,
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 8 months ago.

Hi Peter!

She will take less than 50%, yes, although I am not one to do the math, but that sounds ball park right.

You don't need to apply in any special way, so long as you apply. Once you do, her right to spousal kicks in. She goes to the same site and follows the prompts. You both can apply online or, alternatively, you can call your local office (they will likely make a future phone appointment to actually take the application) or the national number at 1(###) ###-#### You can go in person, as well, but again, they will typically schedule you for another date. Online may be the best first option - just be sure to PRINT every darn receipt, confirmation page, and your answers provided, and save that proof of filing.

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 8 months ago.

Website is --- then follow the links and prompts!

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you aredone. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!