How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am about to turn 60 and I am a widow. I would like to draw

Customer Question

I am about to turn 60 and I am a widow. I would like to draw my husbands social security. How do I go about that?
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: My husband died in 2009. I was told that I could draw widows benefits from his social security when I reached 60 which will be Jan. 18th
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: Like what?
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 9 months ago.

Good morning Roxann,

I'm Doug, and my goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

So long as you were married to your husband at least 1 year prior to his passing, and so long as you are presently not married, you do indeed qualify for a survivor benefit (sometimes referred to as widow's/widower's benefits) from social security as of the day that you turn 60.

In order to have social security begin to pay you your benefit you will have to go to your local social security office with the following information so that you can have the application completed in time for you to get your benefit started at 60.

1. Both your, and your deceased husband's, social security numbers.

2. A copy of your marriage license from the county in which you applied for the marriage license.

3. A copy of your husband's death certificate.

Take that information to your local social security office and the staff members there will process your survivor benefit claim. You may apply for the benefit as much as 3 month in advance of when you want the benefit to start. So you can plan accordingly, be aware that your benefit will begin the first full month that you are 60 (not in the month that you reach that age) and because benefits are paid in arrears by one month, that means that if you will turn 60 in January, you will receive your first benefit payment in.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. There is no cost to you related to your rating my service to you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours well in the New Year,