How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 2983
Experience:  associate attorney
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am going to retire on march 30??? I have not signed up for

Customer Question

i am going to retire on march 30??? I have not signed up for social security...I am 67 years old...what do I need to do ??
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: can I go back and pick up social security benefits from the past 2 years that I did not collect ???
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: can I collect the past 2 years of social security that I did not collect when I turn age 65 ???
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and for using Give me a bit and I will get you an answer drafted.

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

First of all full retirement age is age 66 for you not age 65 (it wull actually gradually go up to age 67 eventually). You can claim a retroactive benefits payment if you file for retirement benefits after you reach full retirement age (FRA). So if you file between age 66½ and 70, you can get up to six months of payments in a lump sum. The drawback is that since you waited until age 67, you gain an 8% credit per year that you delay until age 70. Between your FRA and age 70, your unclaimed benefits rise in value at the rate of 8% a year, thanks to delayed retirement credits. If you file for your retirement benefit at age 70, for example, you will qualify for the highest possible benefit—payments that are 32% higher than your benefit at age 66 and 76% higher than at age 62. So to answer your question, yes but you will lose your 8% credit increase and you can only receive 6 months in back benefits.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if you are satisfied. This will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated by the site for my time with you. Feel free to ask any follow up questions if you feel your questions has not been fully answered. See link on how to rate:

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?