How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 15308
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am having difficulty securing an original marriage

Customer Question

I am having difficulty securing an original marriage certificate. My husband passed away 11-03-2016 and I cannot get widow benefits. Now what.
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: Robert D. Esposito married Lynn M. Schupp 8-26-1967 in Magnolia, NJ.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: Yes. I need my benefits. I cannot survive on my social security alone.
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 6 months ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 6 months ago.

The Office of Vital Statistics and Registry registers vital events and maintains the following vital records for Birth, marriage and death records starting at 1916.

A marriage performed in 1967 would be in the records.

To get a copy of a vital record, you must submit:

  • A completed application
  • A copy of the proof(s) of your identity
  • The correct fee
  • Proof of your relationship to the person listed on the vital record you are requesting (Only required for certified copies)

You need the following application

Follow the instructions on the form