Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

I adopted my grandaughter a time ago she will be 18 11/3/17

Customer Question

I adopted my grandaughter a long time ago she will be 18 11/3/17 butt still has two years to graduate is she still able to get bennifits
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: Hi Pearl this is Dave Vanderlinden ###-##-####is my social number and i get a check every month for her, and i have heard it will quit when she turns 18, but she will have about one and a half years left in high school
JA: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I don't think so
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 5 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and thank you for using Justanawer.com. Give me a bit and I will draft you an answer.

If she is still in high school, then her benefits will continue, so no her benefits will not stop at age 18. From SSA:"Three months before your child’s 18th birthday, we’ll send a notice to you letting you know that benefits will end when your child turns 18. Benefits don’t end if your child is a full-time student at a secondary (or elementary) school. If your child is younger than 19 and still attending a secondary or elementary school, they must notify us. They must complete a statement of attendance certified by a school official. The benefits will then usually continue until your child graduates, or until two months after reaching age 19, whichever comes first." See SSA link: https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10085.pdf

See link for statement of attendance that you will need to complete and return to SSA: https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ssa-1372.pdf

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if you are satisfied. This will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated by the site for my time with you. Feel free to ask any follow up questions if you feel your questions has not been fully answered. See link on how to rate: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?