How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3441
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Have remarried and so has my former husband I have beeen

Customer Question

have remarried and so has my former husband I have beeen told I am entited to payment when he dies. I suspect that his present wife has not notified his death and is continuing to collect my benefits
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: he was or is living in lima peru
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 6 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

His ex his entitled to her own widows benefits, same as you. She cannot collect your benefits. Her benefits and your benefits have nothing to do with each other.

You need to contact the IRS and apply for your own widows benefits based on his records. You will need a marriage certificate and divorce decree to prove your marriage.