Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

How much do I have to get in SS Benefits before I have to

Customer Question

How much do I have to get in SS Benefits before I have to file income tax forms
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I received 30,082.80 in benefits for 2016. Do I have to file income tax with irs. This is my only sorce of income
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: No
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and for using justanswer.com. Give me a bit and I will draft you an answer.

From the IRS, "If Social Security was your only income in 2015, your benefits may not be taxable. You also may not need to file a federal income tax return. If you get income from other sources you may have to pay taxes on some of your benefits." See link: https://www.irs.gov/uac/your-social-security-benefits-may-be-taxable

As long as SSA was your only source of income, you will not have to file an income tax return although it might be wise if you will receive a refund. There's one exception to that, and one only. If you live with your spouse and you file Married Filing Separately then 85% of your Social Security benefits are automatically subject to tax.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if you are satisfied. This will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated by the site for my time with you. Feel free to ask any follow up questions if you feel your questions has not been fully answered. See link on how to rate: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?