Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I have the letter T at the end of my medicare card. My

Customer Question

I have the letter T at the end of my medicare card. My doctors office says that is incorrect that I need an A at the end. Can you help or explain what to do? Thank you
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I receive a military disability with my retirement pay
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

Hi.

...

Code A is for Primary Claimant (wage earner), as opposed to say, a spouse getting benefits on the other's spouse's record.

...

For example, code B means Spouse (spouse of retired worker)

...

Here's what T at the end of the number means:

...

"Enrolled in Medicare but temporarily delayed Social Security Retirement Benefits or Uninsured – Entitled to Health Insurance Benefits (Part A) under deemed or renal provisions"

...

In English what that means is that you a deemed covered either because of your disability, of some other provision of the code (Social Security Act), or because, specifically, renal (kidney) disease being a part of your disability.

...

You would only be code A is you were simply retired, taking regular Social Security retirement, and there WERE no disability issues.

...

If you still think this is incorrect, you should call Medicare (not Social Security) and ask them to explain, or correct.

...

Bear with me a moment and I'll get that number for you

Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

Here's the number. 1-800-MEDICARE (1-***-***-****)

...

Medicare says, specifically, If there is any incorrect information on your card, or you have a question or questions regarding your coverage or card information contained on it, there is a toll-free number located on the top portion of your Medicare card. This is the number for you to contact a Medicare Health Insurance representative. Call Medicare Health Insurance at (800) Medicare (633-4227).

Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me

But if this has helped, and you don’t have other questions, I would appreciate a positive rating (using those stars on your screen – and clicking submit)

That’s the only way JustAnswer will compensate me for the work here.

Thanks,

Lane