How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephanie O Joy, Esq Your Own Question
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 13568
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Stephanie O Joy, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Iwant to have my wife's name removed from the benefits as

Customer Question

Iwant to have my wife's name removed from the benefits as she pased away on Dec 26th of last year
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: My wife passed away on Dc 26th bof last byear and I need to have her benefits stopped
JA: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: not that i am aware of unless he needs her SS #
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 9 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** have been practicing SS LAW full time for 10+ years and look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 9 months ago.

I am very sorry for your loss.

OK, if there was a funeral parlor involved in any arrangements for her after she passed, then OFTEN that entity will advise SSA of the passing. However, you want to be sure, so I'd call them to confirm. If they did not, or you didn't have a funeral director, then you can call SSA and advise them. You can call your local office or the national number at(###) ###-#### They will typically want you to send an original copy (certified) of the death certificate, to make sure it is not a hoax.

In the meantime, any benefit that is sent to her before the paperwork is processed, in January or after, is NOT rightfully sent or received, so do not spend it. The SSA will be demanding it back.

You may also want to look into whether you can get survivor benefits, both monthly and the $255 death benefit, so consider making a trip to your local SSA office about that, bringing your photo ID, marriage certificate, your birth certificate, and her death certificate. In fact, you can probably do all of the above in one shot by going down there with documents in hand.

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 9 months ago.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you aredone. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!