Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

My sister suffered from ALs and has just died. She was on

Customer Question

My sister suffered from ALs and has just died. She was on Social Security Disability and received Social Security. Apparently when her death certificate was filed Social Security was notified to cease any further payments. Is this correct or are we required to do anything further. She was single and had no children. I was advised she would not received the usual benefit paid on death. Is this correct?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 8 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** have been practicing SS LAW full time for 10+ years and look forward to assisting you.

I am so very sorry for your sister and for your loss. May she be at peace. ALS is a special medical issue for me, having lost a close friend myself, and knowing of many other, when it comes to SSD, and I do all pro bono, simply to take the admin burden off of the individual (not because it needs expertise, since it does not, given its special standing with the SSA).

That said, OK, let's get to your answer:

It is correct that once someone dies, they are no longer eligible for ANY Social Security. SO, if your sister passed in Jan., she is not eligible for a payment FOR January (which would have been paid in February.) If she had no dependents, than typically that would mean there is no one eligible to claim such a dependent survivor benefit based on her record, so there is really nothing to be received by anyone.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you aredone. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!