dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

I qualify for Social security Survivorship benefits from my

Customer Question

I qualify for Social security Survivorship benefits from my previous husband who died at age 41 I am 69. I just found out that I should qualify for additional money from social security becuase we were married 16 years. My retirement age was 66. Should my benefits on his portion be retro to my age 66?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I notified Social Security in a meeting (not just a walk-in appt) of this information after the death of my 2nd husband in 2005. I provided both socials and all information. I followed up with a meeting in 2012 before I turned 65. They origiinally told me that they owed me over $30,000. After an hour discussion they toldme they were wrong. I have notes from that meeting. Social Security-Batavia Ohio office does not have any information on that meeting including that it ever took place. They have retroed me money for 6 months as of December, 2016 after an additional inquiry on my art. Shouldn't they owe me from June, 2013 when I turned 66?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and for using justanswer.com. Give me a bit and I will get you an answer drafted.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I cannot afford the $52.

So you do not want to move forward with this question?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
no. I cannot afford it.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
is my answer ready?

OK, call customer service at 1-***-***-**** if you would like to request a refund. I'm sorry I could not move forward to help you with this question, good luck. Yes, I have an answer for you that I can get you within 5 minutes if you would like to move forward.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
real nice scam you have going. no money - no answer. reporting you to BBB and attorney general

I have nothing to do with billing. I am a real attorney and this is not a free service. How is this a scam? I am not an employee of justanswer.com, just a user of the site liek you except on the expert side.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The information that came up on the web site was $5 fee. Not $32 that I was charged. I have already had an attorney write an A-B trust instead of the revocable trust for my husband and a financial person at Chase Bank "misappropriate" all of our retirement. The Social Security office did not record my meeting and now I am having to fight that battle. I have no trust in any attorneys or financial people.

From what I understand, the $5 deposit is a simple down payment to get connected with an expert, the additional money from the question is after the expert answers the question and you are satisfied with it. Again, I have nothing to do with billing and I am reimbursed by my time from the site. It does not come from you. Where else can you pay so little to speak with a real qualified attorney anytime day or night? It seems kind of wrong to expect my time after paying hundreds of thousands of dollars for my education for no cost.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I lost hundreds of thousands of dollars because of an attorney that did not do what was appropriate. When confronted after my husbands death she asked for my foregiveness. She had never written a trust before. she was obtained by the wealth management advisor at Chase for my husband after I had a stroke and was unable to check everything out. She scamed us out of $350,000 and I had to probate everything. She was fired from Chase but that didn't help me because statute of limitations ran out. Now Social Security did not do what was required by them in recording the events of a meeting and I am again having to fight a battle. I pray for your sake you never get sick and have people treat you as I have been treated. BTW, I was a commercial banker for Chase and also have plenty of money in an education!

I am sorry you had a bad experience but most attorneys are not like that and if I do not know how to do something, I research it enough to accomplish what I need to do or I send the client to someone who does. $350,000 is a crazy amount to charge and that sounds like fraud to me. I'm simply a small time attorney with a family trying to make a little extra money on the side. I have a main job that I go to every day and I answer questions on this site when I can. I'm sorry about your situation and that attorney that you dealt with gives us attorneys that do things right a bad name.