dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

It seems that my benefits were reduced. After my wife died.

Customer Question

It seems that my benefits were reduced. After my wife died. She died 1-7-1915. herSSA###-##-#### I expected my benefit to increase
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: the SSA mailing I received a few days ago mentioned life changes such as the death of a spouse might increase my benefit. My benefit was reduced.Is this correct.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: No
Category: Social Security
Expert:  dylatess replied 9 months ago.

if both you your wife were both collecting SS, when you wife died you were only entitled to receive the higher of the two benefits but you cannot continue to get both. Also, your benefit may have been reduced because the amount taken out for Medicare has increased.