Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I am 61 years old at this time and was widowed when I was 27

Customer Question

I am 61 years old at this time and was widowed when I was 27 years old.My 'retirement age' is 66 years and 4 months (born in 1955)...can I draw anything off of my husband at age 62 until I reach my 'retirement age'?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: nothing pertinent to this issue
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 9 months ago.

Hi. My name's Lane. I can help here

...

Yes, as long as you meet the following conditions:

• You were married for nine months at the time of death
  • Your deceased spouse would be old enough now to be receiving benefits
  • You did not re-marry before age 60 (or the subsequent marriage has ended due to death, divorce or annulment)

...

See this from Social Security:

...

These are examples of the benefits that survivors may receive:

• Widow or widower, full retirement age or older -- 100 percent of the deceased worker's benefit amount;
  • Widow or widower, age 60 -- full retirement age -- 71½ to 99 percent of the deceased worker's basic amount;
Expert:  Lane replied 9 months ago.

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me

But if this has helped, and you don’t have other questions, I would appreciate a positive rating (using those stars on your screen – and clicking submit)

That’s the only way JustAnswer will compensate me for the work here.

Thanks,

Lane

I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.