How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 12703
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am currently collecting approximately $790 under my

Customer Question

I am currently collecting approximately $790 under my husbands SS number###-##-#### How much will I collect next year when I turn 70 and collect under my account###-##-####
JA: Soon. I'm trying to find the right Retirement Accountant for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know.
Customer: any idea how much longer it will take to find the answer to my question?
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: ?? Should I submit my question elsewhere? I paid approximately $100,000 in SS taxes during my 45+ years of working.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 9 months ago.

Hi. My name's Lane. I can help here. Welcome to JUST ANSWER


Although many think so, the amount that you paid in isn't DIRECTLY related to what you get in benefits


The two BIGGEST factors are

Your earnings history, andHow old you are when you first begin taking benefits.


Your primary insurance amount (what you would receive at age 66 your Full Retirement Age) is based on your historical earnings. Specifically, it’s based on your “average indexed monthly earnings” (AIME). Calculating your AIME is a five-step process.


  • They use your yearly earnings records, excluding any earnings for each year that were in excess of the maximum amount subject TO subject to Social Security tax.
  • Adjust your earnings from prior years to today’s dollars.
  • Select your 35 highest-earning years
  • Add up the total amount of earnings in those 35 years.
  • Divide by 420 (the number of months in 35 years)


They then factor that AIME (multiply by) three different numbers to come up with your PIA, your Full retirement Age benefit

  • 90% of any AIME up to $856,
  • plus32% of any AIME between $856 and $5,157, plus
  • 15% of any AIME above $5,157.


Then for evey year that you wait PAST age 66 an additional 8% is added (up to age 70, as it look lie you know) making your benefit a full 132% of what you would have received had you started at age 66.


These are called DRC's (Delayed Retirement Credits)


You can use one of the calculators here: to calculate your benefit.


OR yuo can go here: to st up yout online Social Security account where you can see your ACTUAL benefit projection and your actual earnings record

Expert:  Lane replied 9 months ago.

I'm so sorry, but i can run the projection for you. We experts at JUSTANSWER are not privy to your personal/private information, BUT can certainly help with any questions you have about how things work, etc.


Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me

But if this has helped, and you don’t have other questions, I would appreciate a positive rating (using those stars on your screen – and clicking submit)

That’s the only way JustAnswer will compensate me for the work here.



I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.