Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

How many hours can I work and not affect my disability

Customer Question

how many hours can I work and not affect my disability payments. I have been receiving disability payments for three years and am currently working 16 hours per week
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 8 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** have been practicing SS LAW full time for 10+ years and look forward to assisting you.

There is no bright line rule, other than avoiding "full time" (also not an exact number)... and not earning beyond SGA - but even that is not a guarantee... beyond that, any number, even 2 hours a week, could result in a loss of disability if the type of activity you are doing clarifies sufficient improvement in your condition, or, if you earn more than SGA.

That said, after a thoughtful review of my clients' proposed line of part time work, I generally have a wish list for no more than 10 hours a week, although I do often see 15-18, right where you are... and, they have to remain vigilant with medical treatment/follow up so ongoing complaints are clear... and we evaluate the various job requirements so that there is not something they are supposedly supposed to be doing that would contradict there disabilities (thereby showing, at the least, improvement, which could trigger a CDR).

Each case is so very unique, it must be done on a case by case basis.

All else being kosher, the 16 hours is probably not a deal breaker, if you are under SGA.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you aredone. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
HE WAS OFFERED 4 MORE HOURS PER WEEK SO IT WOULD BE A TOTAL OF 20. ALSO WHAT AMOUNT FOR 2017 IS THE SAG OR ARE WE STILL UNDER THE 2016 SAG AND IF SO WHAT IS THE 2016 AMOUNT. THE NET AMOUNT MY SON MAKES [AFTER TAXES] is approximately 425.00 per month.

SGA for 2017 is $1170, a bit higher than the 2016 amount.

Net amount is not what is counted, it is the 'gross' amount, unfortunately.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
DJ'S CHECK BEFORE TAXES ARE TAKEN OUT IS 225.00 HE IS PAID EVERY TWO WEEKS SO USING 26 WEEKS ALTHOUGH THERE MIGHT BE A BIT MORE THAN 26 PAYMENTS HIS GROSS PER MONTH WOULD BE ABOUT 450,WELL BELOW THE SGA IF I UNDERSTAND AND INTERPRET THE INFORMATION PROPERLY. HIS OTHER SOURCE OF INCOME IS DISABILITY INSURANCE AND I DON'T THINK THAT HAS A BEARING????

Correct, he is below SGA at $450 and only income that is earnings from work activity counts, not other income.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!