TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction
14155347

My daughter will turn 18 on January the 7th. Her benefits

Customer Question

My daughter will turn 18 on January the 7th. Her benefits are to end at that time. She is currently a senior in high school and will be attending junior college in the fall. Will she be able to receive her benefits will in school.
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: No
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 8 months ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 8 months ago.

To get benefits, a child must be Younger than age 18; or 18-19 years old and a full-time student (no

higher than grade 12); or 18 or older and disabled. (The disability must have started before age 22.)

Her benefits can continue till she completes high school but not during the junior college attendance.

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10085.pdf

Please let me know if you need clarification. If you do not then a positive 5 star rating is appreciated so I get credit for the response. (look for the STARS or SMILEY FACES)