Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I am 65 years old and I was recently informed that my BC/BS

Customer Question

I am 65 years old and I was recently informed that my BC/BS insurance is no longer my primary insurance. I was told Medicare is my primary insurance now. How is that so?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: Nothing that I'm aware of.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 8 months ago.

Hi Pete. My name's Lane. I can help here.

...

This could be for one of of several reasons.

...

The most likely is that you turned 65.

...

If an individual is ag 65+ with insurance based on current employment, and the employer has 20 or more employees Medicare is the primary insurer and the group plan is secondary.*

...

*You can have insurance based on your or your spouse’s “current” employment. However, if coverage continues when you retire, it is considered retiree insurance. Retiree insurance works in a different way with Medicare than insurance based on current employment. - Also, Companies with fewer than 20 employees may CHOOSE to offer primary coverage to employees over 65 (a requirement for groups over 20) If so, you should get it in writing from your employer.

...

This is ALSO true for people with certain disabilities.

Expert:  Lane replied 8 months ago.

If this doesn't describe you, let me know and I can dig further into the law for you.

...

And please let me know if you have ANY other questions at all, before rating me

But if this has helped, and you don’t have other questions, I would appreciate a positive rating (using those stars on your screen – and clicking submit)

That’s the only way JustAnswer will compensate me for the work here.

Thanks,

Lane

I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.

Expert:  Lane replied 8 months ago.

...

I’m just checking back in to see how things are going.

...

Did my answer help?

If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

...

But if you need more on this, please let me know.

Lane