How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barbara Your Own Question
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3368
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Barbara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband recently died of terminal cancer and was

Customer Question

My husband recently died of terminal cancer and was receiving ssd benefits. I am 62. SS counselor says I can get my SS benefits until I reach 66 then transfer over to my husbands full benefit amount, as mine is very minimal. Is this correct?
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Barbara replied 6 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Please accept my deepest sympathy on the passing of your husband.

That is correct. You will receive reduced benefits until you are 66 (full retirement age), and then receive full benefits commencing at age 66.

The following link contains excellent information you will find helpful:

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,