How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 15713
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

October 2015 I'm retired and got married in the Philippines.

Customer Question

October 2015 I'm retired and got married in the Philippines. How does my wife get a social security card? We currently live here in the Philippines till her children are done with college? I'm a US resident. We tried a ITN but took 8 months just for a reply! Thanks
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: not that I'm aware of? Just need SS card for taxes
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 9 months ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 9 months ago.

Non-U.S. citizens and those who do not reside in the United States may be eligible for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) for U.S. tax purposes. This category applies to Philippine citizen spouses resident in Philippines without Legal Permanent Residence in the United States.

The ITIN is filed with your tax return if you are wanting to file joint for US. Yes, it takes a longer period the first year but that is the procedure. The W7 is filed and the return attached.

If your spouse is immigrating to the United States, she will receive a Social Security number once in the United States as a Legal Permanent Resident. You cannot apply from within the Philippines and must apply in the United States.

Philippines American Embassy*****br />Ermita, Manila 0930
Phone:(###) ###-####br />Fax:(###) ###-####or***-***-****

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i can't file electronically without an ITIN so do I file a hard copy with the iTIN blank and IRS puts the number in?
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 9 months ago.

Yes. The return is attached to the W7 application for an ITIN and when the ITIN is processed the IRS adds the ITIN to the return and processes.

They also issue a letter advising the ITIN to your spouse.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 9 months ago.

Here is a link to the instructions for the W7

A positive 5 star rating is appreciated so I get credit for the response.