How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 2982
Experience:  associate attorney
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife died 3 1/2 years ago. she received the spousal

Customer Question

My wife died 3 1/2 years ago. she received the spousal portion of my social security. Am I eligible for her death benefit.
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: The television commercial claims that a $255 death benefit is available for all social security recipients. Am I eligible for her $255?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 6 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and for using Give me a bit and I will get you an answer drafted.

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 6 months ago.

Yes, you should be eligible for a survivor benefit, you can start receiving if you are over age 60 or age 50 if you are disabled. If you are caring for your minor child then you can receive it at any age. Unfortunately it is too late for the one time $255 benefit. SSA will make a one-time payment of $255 to a survivor, if they are SSA eligible and worked long enough. SSA can only pay this benefit to a spouse or child if they meet certain requirements. Survivors must apply for this payment within two years of the date of death. You cannot receive this survivor benefit and your normal retirement or disability payment at the same time. you can only receive the higher of the two but you can delay your own retirement benefit and take the survivor benefit and allow your retirement benefit to grow until age 70.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if you are satisfied. This will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated by the site for my time with you. Feel free to ask any follow up questions if you feel your questions has not been fully answered. See link on how to rate:

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 6 months ago.

Was that the answer you were looking for? Please give me some feedback if not as I want to satisfy my customers. If you are satisfied, please rate my answer as this is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site. See "rate an answer" on the following link for how to do so:

Thank you in advance.

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 6 months ago.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions or have I answered your question adequately?