How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 2983
Experience:  associate attorney
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need to get social security to take monthly payments out

Customer Question

I need to get social security to take monthly payments out of my check for the back payment of $1,783.30. I need to set up a payment schedule.
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I owe a payment for medicare from May 2015 until now totaling $1,783.30 and I need to set up monthly payments, so they do not take the whole amount out of my check. I just started getting social security in November.
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and for using Give me a bit and I will draft you an answer.

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

First, you can try to get a waiver or fight the repayment (If this does not interest you and you simply want to repay then skip to the last paragraph) Sometimes an overpayment happens because you did not report a change in your income or household to SSA. Maybe you did not know that you were supposed to report the change. Or maybe you did tell SSA and they didn't record it. If the overpayment was not your fault and you cannot afford to pay it back, you can ask for a waiver. A waiver means that even though you were overpaid, SSA will not ask you to give the money back. If a waiver is still denied, you can ask for an Administrative Hearing. Ask for the hearing in writing within 60 days after your reconsideration was turned down, or by filling out the Request for Hearing by Administrative Law Judge ( form. This hearing is held by an an Administrative Law Judge. At the hearing, you will have a chance to tell the judge your side of the story. If you lose your hearing, you can ask to have your case reviewed by the Appeals Council. Tell the local SSA office that you want to appeal the Administrative Law Judge's decision. The Appeals Council is outside Washington, D.C. You do not have to go the Appeals Council to have your case reviewed. They will look over the records in your case to see if the judge at your hearing made a mistake. If you lose at the Appeals Council level, you can take your case to court. You will need a lawyer to do this.

Get a form called Overpayment Recovery Request (, (you can also ask for one at your local Social Security office). This form asks you questions about whether you reported the change and whether you knew you should report the change. It will also ask questions about your income. Remember, you must show both that the overpayment was not your fault and that you do not have enough money to pay back the overpayment.

If you have lost all of your appeals or have decided not to appeal any further, you must pay the money back. Tell SSA that you want to repay it in small amounts each month that you can afford. Otherwise, SSA may automatically take your whole Social Security disability or retirement check. Usually you will have to pay back at least $10.00 a month. SSA tries to get the money back within 3 years. With this repayment being relatively small, SSA should work with you, you simply need to call and speak to someone and set up a plan. You can use the SSA-795 ( form or just write Social Security a letter describing the terms of your offer.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if you are satisfied. This will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated by the site for my time with you. Feel free to ask any follow up questions if you feel your questions has not been fully answered. See link on how to rate: