Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

I am retired and haven't had apart time job since, until

Customer Question

I am retired and haven't had apart time job since , until 2014.
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I am working several hours /week { 16 20) and federal income tax has been paid on income since then. How do I apply for reimbursement for this tax ? I should be exempt since I am over 65?
JA: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: Not that I am aware of.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 5 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and for using justanswer.com. Give me a bit and I will draft you an answer.

Unfortunately, there is no law that allows for reimbursement of income taxes for an individual that reaches retirement. The government even makes you continue to pay into social security even while receiving social security retirement. You still must pay all income taxes and SSI taxes just like an individual under retirement age. If you have not yet reach full retirement age (age 66 and 2 months in 2017 and probably age 66 if you retired before) then they will even penalize you for earning significant income while receiving social security retirement. Once you reach full retirement age, this penalty is eliminated. So unfortunately, there will be no reimbursement for these taxes for you or anyone else in your situation, that is simply how the government taxes income.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if you are satisfied. This will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated by the site for my time with you. Feel free to ask any follow up questions if you feel your questions has not been fully answered. See link on how to rate: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions or have I answered your question adequately?