How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3441
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am going to retire the end of April and want to apply for

Customer Question

I am going to retire the end of April and want to apply for social security benefits to start in May. I want to collect my deceased husband's benefits. How do I apply to do this. I think I would feel more comfortable talking to someone face to face.
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: I just sent a message. Just wondering if you got it?
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  ABC Accounting Group replied 9 months ago.

Hi. Great Question. Sorry for your loss.

There are three ways to do this:

You can apply in person - the local offices can be found using the following link:

ring the following documents in with you:

  • Spouse's death certificate;
  • Your birth certificate or other proof of birth;
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful alien status if you were not born in the United States
  • U.S. military discharge paper(s) if you had military service before 1968;
  • W-2 forms(s) and/or self-employment tax returns for last year, if applicable
  • Marriage certificate

Let me know if you have any questions.