How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3441
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My brother died on fri. he just started to get s.s.he has a

Customer Question

my brother died on fri. he just started to get s.s.he has a wife
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: what the next step?
JA: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: His wife is on s.s.I
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 8 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

First she needs to contact the local social security to report his death and stop the benefits otherwise she will need to pay them back.

At the same time she can apply for the one time $255 death benefits and check if she may be eligible for widows benefits if she is at least 60 and her benefits are less than his were.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
This is not good!
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Can I please do this in Person
Expert:  emc011075 replied 8 months ago.

What do you mean doing it in person? It is an online forum, we cannot meet you in person.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 8 months ago.

Unfortunately she cannot keep his benefits and when the social security eventually finds out, she will have to repay it all. The best thing is to make an appointment at her local social security office for discussing her options. Depending on her age she may be eligible for higher widows benefits but only social security agent can access her and his records. She will need marriage certificate and his death certificate and her ID.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Forget it!!!