How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 15600
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have federal taxes taken out of my social security check -

Customer Question

I have federal taxes taken out of my social security check - 15%. I would like to stop this deduction. How do I get a form for this. My social is###-##-####JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: No, when I started drawing s.s. I was still working. I haven't worked in 3 years and just want to stop it. Thanks for your help.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 8 months ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 8 months ago.

I can give you a link to the form that you use to let SSA know to stop the withholding.

You'll need a form W-4V from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) found at the link below

If you do not have access to a printer call the IRS toll-free number

1-***-***-**** and ask for Form W-4V, Voluntary Withholding Request. (If you are deaf or hard of hearing, call the IRS TTY number, 1-***-***-****.)

Sign the form and return it to your local Social Security office by mail or in person.