How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 19132
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband is 62 but plans retiring when he reaches 65. I am

Customer Question

My husband is 62 but plans retiring when he reaches 65. I am already collecting SS, but we are both wondering if once he decides to collect, can I stop collecting on my ss# ***** apply under his # when he reaches 65?
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: no
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 6 months ago.

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 6 months ago.

Unfortunately, it does not work that way. However, you can apply under his earnings and if the benefits that you would receive under his earnings are greater than yours, then Social Security Administration would pay you a combination of benefits that would total the higher amount. The benefits under your earnings will not be cancelled as a result of this application under his earnings. For more information, click here.

Best wishes,