How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3441
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband passed away what is my next step please? he was

Customer Question

My husband passed away what is my next step please?
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: he was 77 passed away Dec 14 I get ss of my own and he did also
JA: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: no idea
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 8 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

You need to contact social security as soon as possible for couple of reason:

- to report his death and stop his benefits

- to apply for the $255 lump-sum benefits

- to check if you may be eligible for widows benefits.

I would suggest to make an appointment at your local social security office. You will need to bring your marriage certificate, death certificate and your ID.