LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

My husband died March 16 2015. My social security was

Customer Question

My husband died March 16 2015. My social security was refigured, but it was lower than expected because my husband had a daughter who was on disability. His daughter died August 11 , 2016. Should my benefits be refigured again?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: Yes, I am retired and was getting social security. When my husband died on March 16, 2015 my benefits were refigured, but I was told they were lower because he had a daughter form his first marriage who was on disability. She died on August 11, 2016 of a massive heart attack. Should my benefits be refigured????
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Yes, if your husband's daughter was also receiving a survivor benefit and she died, then you are entitled to have your social security survivor benefit recalculated so that you will now get 100% of your full entitlement.

You will need to contact social security and demand that they recalculate your benefit so you are getting all that you are entitled to.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. There is no cost to you related to your rating my service to you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours well in the New Year,

Doug