How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I retired on disability 10/2012, can I work part-time? What

Customer Question

I retired on disability 10/2012, can I work part-time? What is my limit?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I'm a retired nurse due to Rheumatoid Arthritis, I wanted to see if I could work as a secretary. I let my license expired because I could not use my hands. My husband is a pediatrician and the staff could use me to do filing, answering the phone.
JA: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I do not know, I wanted to volunteer but was told it would be better to be in an official job position
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 9 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. My wife is an RN with significant RA and Osteoarthritis in her hands, and I fully empathize with your situation.

Social Security has what is called a trial work period. It is a period of 9 separate months where you may earn as much as you want. In 2017, any months you earn less than $810 gross wages in do not count. After you have had a total of 9 months where you earned more than $810 gross, you begin your Extended Period of Eligibility (EPE) (see EPE. During the EPE, social security will evaluate your work and earnings to decide if you can work at the substantial gainful activity (SGA) level (see SGA).

Here is a link to a social security site which explains this in greater detail:

So yes, you may work part time in your husband's office, part time, so long as you keep your income below $810 per month.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. There is no cost to you related to your rating my service to you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours well in the New Year,